This recipe is from Babycakes Vegan Baker
y! This place is scrumptious!!! This famous bakery started out in New York and now we have 1 location in Downtown Los Angeles. I have made the recipe below for friends a couple of times and these cookies are a hit!!!
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1¼ cups evaporated cane juice
- ¹⁄³ cup homemade applesauce or store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups bob’s red mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 Tbs minced fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, evaporated cane juice, applesauce, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Using a rubber spatula, carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine until a dough is formed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips just until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the portions 1 inch apart. Gently press each with the heel of your hand to help them spread. Bake the cookies on the center rack for 14 minutes, rotating the sheets 180 degrees after 9 minutes. The finished cookies will be crisp on the edges and soft in the center.
- Let the cookies stand on the sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely before covering. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.