You all know how much I love me some Paula Deen! I love making her green bean casserole it is always so scrumptious & amazing. I wanted to share my vegan version of her recipe!
- 1/3 stick Vegan butter ( I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- 3 cups “No chicken” broth I use a low sodium broth or Better than Bouillon)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (I made my own recipe follows)
- 1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings (I bought an organic can from whole foods)
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the vegan butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans in the “no chicken” broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the vegan cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
VEGAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP:
1/2 cup no chicken broth
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/3 c soy milk
In small sauce pan add “no chicken broth“, garlic, & flour bring to a boil then simmer on low for 5 minutes whisking a few times. While broth is simmering, steem sliced mushrooms (about 5 minutes). When steamed & tender to touch blend in blender with soy milk. Once pureed whisk into simmering broth and now you will have vegan cream of mushroom base for your casserole!