I made the most delicious dish last night and per all my instagram followers request I am posting the recipe. ENJOY!
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 ounce)
- Coconut oil to grease your pan
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine squash, stock, and almond milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash contents of saucepan; stir in nutmeg, cayenne, and salt, and season with black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; cook until al dente according to package instructions, about 8 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl; stir in squash mixture and 2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese ( You can also add in 1/2 cup ricotta for richer flavor or make a macadamia nut vegan ricotta)
- Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish (4 inches deep) with coconut oil. Transfer noodle mixture to dish, top with remaining parmesan cheese. (you may also top with gluten free bread crumbs of your choice
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more.